Every high school student wants to know how to be successful in college before they get there. Some learners already have an idea of a good college student. They know they should attend every class, contribute to discussions, write quality papers, and use color-coded notes when studying for tests.
But, some high school students also know how to be successful without college. Some of them have learned from successful people who didn’t go to college. These are ready to venture into careers that do not require college degrees. They have also mastered important business skills and are already expanding their networks.
Either way, you need to prepare for life after high school. If you decide to go to college, you should learn how to be a successful college student. And if you opt not to go to college, learn what being successful without college requires.
Tips on How to Be Successful in College
There are things you need to do to be successful in college. It’s easy to think that you just need to score good grades to be a successful learner. But, this is not all it takes to succeed in college. Here are some of the best ways to be successful in college:
- Attend classes – This may be a no-brainer to some learners. However, skipping class for whatever reason can lead to several problems. These may include lagging behind with homework and writing assignments. You may also have difficulties grasping the concepts taught in class. So, attending class is one of the most important tips for success in college.
- Take organized notes – Don’t just attend classes for the sake of it. Make sure that you also take notes that you can use to revise for tests. If you miss a class for a reasonable reasons, borrow lecture notes from your classmates and make yours.
- Be organized – Being organized is also one of the major keys to college success. Organization means scheduling all activities and managing your time. Essentially, you should know where to find notes, when to complete assignments, and when to attend group discussion. You should also plan your reading time and how you spend your free time in college. Being organized will keep you in control and enable you to maximize how you spend your time in college.
- Get your company right – The people you spend most of your time with will influence your chances of success in college. Essentially, you can’t avoid being social in college. However, you should choose your study buddy and members of your study group carefully. Studying with a friend can be a lot of fun. However, this should be a person that is also determined to excel in college. A good study buddy or a professional writer should also help you improve your skills and grasp different concepts. Ideally, you should help each other. Similarly, a study group should make learning enjoyable and improve your skills. Choose a study group with like-minded people to enhance your social and academic life.
- Engage in extra-curricular activities – Some people think that because they are talented athletics they can be successful without attending college. However, college students can be more successful if they engage in extra-curricular activities that will nurture their talents. Thus, they will be more likely to be successful because they will have an education and a talent.
Doing these things is what makes a successful college student. However, it’s also important to be close to the professor and ask seek clarifications for concepts that a learner didn’t understand in class. It’s also crucial to find a professor tutor and read a college success book.
Ways To College Success
There are many things that make the college success strategies of some people. However, there is nothing like a strict college success formula. So, what is success when it comes to college? Perhaps, this should be the starting point for determining how to excel with or without college.
Success can be defined as accomplishment of a purpose or an aim. But, success can mean different things to different people. For instance, one person can consider having a stable job, more money, and being happy as leading a successful life. Another person can consider not having to work for more than forty hours a week as being successful. For another person, being successful is having more money in their bank account.
So, is college necessary for a successful future? Well, the answer is no. Some people have become successful without going to college. Others have attended college, acquired important skills, landed great jobs, and are now leading better lives. So, it’s all in the mind-set.
Achieving Success without College
If going to college is not one of your options, you want to know how to excel without higher education. Here are some of the ways you can be successful in life without a college degree:
- Acquire knowledge via self exploration – The internet makes learning about anything possible. You can use the internet to explore and learn about the things you want to do in life. Thus, you can use blogs, journals, online magazines, and books to acquire the knowledge you need to excel in life.
- Acquire experience and establish a portfolio – Invest time in gaining experience to establish an outstanding portfolio. This will make people look for you and give you jobs based on what you can do rather than what you may have learned in class.
- Acquire in-demand skills – Most employers need soft skills like positive attitude, ability to perform under pressure, dependability, and strong ethics at work. These skills can make you more employable as long as you have the necessary skills and experience even without papers.
Many people have become successful in life without pursuing college education. You just need to stay focused, know what you want, and get the right mentors.
People Who Succeeded without College Degrees
Maybe you’re still asking, ‘can you be successful without college?’ Well, several have succeeded in life without pursuing college education. For instance, Bill Gates was only 19 when he started Microsoft. Today, Gates is one of the wealthiest people in the world. Mark Zuckerberg is the owner of one of the highly-valued technological companies today. Steve Jobs started Apple in a garage.
None of these people finished college. So, if you’re wondering, can college dropouts be successful? Well, these three people are a testimony that you don’t need a college degree to succeed in life. Today, Bill Gates is one of the most successful college dropouts from Harvard.
The Bottom Line
A successful college student has to do many things to excel in life. For instance, successful college writing is required to score good grades in academic papers. College students must also attend classes and complete many assignments to be successful. It’s not surprising that many high school students want to know what skills are needed to be successful in college. But, succeeding in life is something different.
Students can follow certain college success tips upon admission. However, succeeding in life requires more than a college degree. What’s more, some of the wealthiest people in the world today did not finish college. This means that a person can succeed in life without a degree. Nevertheless, earning a college degree can give you a competitive advantage in the job market.