History is one of the most amazing subjects to pursue at the post-graduate level. It helps us to understand why our society is the way it is. As a master or PhD student, one of the last hurdles before being allowed to graduate is writing a thesis. But where do you even start writing a thesis? The answer is selecting a topic.
The topic you select for your history thesis will determine how good or otherwise the writing experience will be. But picking great thesis topics is never easy because of the countless events that happened in the past. In this post, we will tell you how to select the best topics. Besides, we also outline the best history thesis topics for you.
How to Select the Best History Thesis Topics
Before we can dive into the most interesting history topics, it is important to understand how to pick the best ideas. Because history is a very broad subject, it is important to be careful to ensure only the best topic is selected. Here are some useful points to help you narrow down to the best topic:
Only go for history thesis ideas in the areas that are interesting to you. These are specific niches that you can connect to or would even want to pursue later. If you pick an area that is not interesting, you can get stuck in the middle. It might also get difficult when it comes to defending your thesis.
Consider a topic in an area with ample resources. Because a thesis is an extensive piece of writing that requires a lot of research, selecting an area that does not have ample resources is likely to get you stuck.
Try to restrict your topic to a reasonable period. The aim is to pick an era where the happenings have been captured well. Although it is okay to explore any period, be careful about conflicting accounts of the events that took place in the ancient periods.
Work with your supervisor closely when selecting a topic for your thesis. If the department has specific recommendations for students to derive their thesis ideas, make sure to go with it.
Look for gaps in the current studies. If you take a closer look at the thesis written by precious scholars, most of them cite areas that are lacking and need more studies. That will be a great area to identify a great history thesis topic.
Interesting American History Thesis Topics
American history is wide and interesting. From the colonization of America to involvement in World War II, you can never miss something interesting to work on.
Note that some interesting topics in US history might also touch other areas such as the history of Europe in the 19th century. Here are some of the best US history thesis topics to consider.
- Exploring the Mississippi showboat culture.
- A deeper exploration of how Mormons influenced settling in America: A case study of West America.
- Exploring the origins of drag racing: What factors promoted the sport, and how did it become institutionalized?
- The US highway system: How did it alter American culture?
- Evaluating the extent of Martin Luther King’s speech impact in the US.
- A deeper look at the American Revolution: How did the revolution build American society?
- Evaluating the American policy starting from the 21st century.
- What were the impacts of colonization on Native Americans?
- The abolishment of the slave trade in the United States: What did it mean to the World?
- The American involvement in World War II: What were the impacts?
- A deeper look at conflicts, labor unions, and strikes in the 1800s.
- A flashback into the most important American people starting from 1800.
- What was the role of women in the American Revolution?
- Assessing the Dawes Act and its impact on the Natives policy in the US.
- Analyzing the impacts of slaves brought to America on the American culture
- Evaluating the impact of the cotton gin on slaves’ labor and the American Economy.
- A deeper look at the discrimination of African American soldiers in the Union Army.
- The assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr.
- Evaluating the New York draft riots in the Civil War.
- A deeper analysis of the Gold Rush in California.
Great European History Thesis Ideas
Just like American history, European history is equally interesting. Selecting great history senior thesis topics from Europe history provides you the opportunity to explore diverse happenings, from early civilizations to the formation of the giant European Union.
- Evaluating the changes in the economies of European countries after World War I.
- Analyzing the French revolution: A closer look at the creation of democratic principles in the country.
- A deeper look at the battle of Hastings: What roles did it play in the history of England?
- A history of the church in Medieval Europe.
- Analyzing the influence of Egyptian, Roman, and Greek on the European Culture.
- A closer look at German resistance to Hitler.
- A closer look at the main wars of World War I.
- Exploring the Flemish artists in Rome between 1500 and 1700.
- A discussion of the French photography between 1800 and 1900.
- What were the impacts of the Berlin Wall on the development of the city?
- Analyzing the fall of the USSR.
- A closer look at children in the holocaust: How were they treated?
- Analyzing the World War Eastern Front.
- A closer look at the biggest concentration camps.
- Analyzing the Katyn Forest Massacre.
- A deeper look at how the Allied invaded and occupied Germany.
- Evaluating the Nuremberg Trials.
- Analyzing the invasion and occupation of Japan by Allied forces.
- A closer look at the accounts of Holocaust survivors.
- A closer look at the Battle of the Bulge.
World History Thesis Paper Topics
Unlike America or Europe history ideas, the world historical topics have a broad global outlook. For example, although World War II started in Europe, it is a world topic because it was fought globally. Here are some of the interesting history research paper topics to consider in world history.
- A deeper look at World War II: Could it have been avoided?
- A deeper evaluation of the Vietnam War: The main causes and consequences.
- Analyzing the Cold War: What were the main causes and consequences?
- A holistic comparison of World War I and World War II.
- Outlining the main lessons from World War II and their applications.
- Evaluating the development and rise of the People’s Republic of China.
- The use of the Atomic Bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Could it have been avoided?
- Analyzing Japanese role in World War II.
- World War III: What are the chances of the world going into another global war?
- Evaluating the role of the United Nations in setting the world order after World War II.
- The jihadists and crusades: What are the similarities and differences?
- A closer look at communism: What was its impact on the world?
- Evaluating the quest for independence: A closer look at the African countries.
- Analyzing the Japanese economic growth: How did they do it?
- A closer look at the construction of the Great Wall of China.
- A closer look at the sexual revolution.
- Analyzing the Arab invasion of Spain.
- A closer look at the dancing paintings of Edgar Degas.
- What impact did Hinduism have in the Indian art?
- What was the Connection between World War I and World War II?
Ancient History Thesis Topics
For students who want their thesis to focus on ancient history, these world history research paper topics will be very insightful. The ideas can help you to look at the gaps in the current ancient history literature and fill them to leave a mark in your area of interest.
- A closer look at the history of the Holy Roman Empire.
- Comparing ancient Greece to the Roman Empire.
- A deeper analysis of why ancient Sparta was different in comparison to other cities of the time.
- A closer look at the prominent queens in Ancient Egypt.
- The development and importance of games in the ancient eras.
- A closer look at the origin of the papacy.
- What political powers did pope have during the Middle Ages?
- Comparing the use of propaganda between modern times and ancient times.
- Discovering the most influential pharaoh.
- Exploring the code of Hammurabi.
- Evaluating the use of ziggurats in Mesopotamia.
- How did Egypt build the pyramids?
- A closer look at the Battle of Marathon: Assessing the defeat of Persia by Greeks.
- The reinvention of history: A closer look at Aristotle and Plato collaboration.
- Evaluating the strategy used by Alexander during the conquest of Egypt.
- Analyzing the Hun’s invasion of Europe.
- A closer look at Rome: When and how was it founded?
- Analyzing the French renaissance ceramics.
- A deeper look at the medieval Romance literature.
- Evaluating arms and armor in the Renaissance Europe.
With Great History Topics … Your Thesis Writing Journey Begins!
This post has helped you to identify the most interesting topics in history. The most important thing is selecting a great area that you can articulately craft a winning thesis. But it is important to note one crucial thing, selecting good thesis topics marks the commencement of a long journey ahead. It is the start of your thesis! Therefore, your focus should, from there, be directed to writing your thesis.
Notably, writing a thesis requires a lot of effort and skills that many students do not have. Well, even those who have some skills still find them inadequate to craft a winning thesis. Therefore, it is important to seek writing help from an expert. Writing help is provided by professional writers who have ample experience in writing similar thesis papers.
For expert writers, no history thesis topics are too complex. Besides, they are affordable, and you can follow your work chapter by chapter until it is completed. Do not let your history thesis stress you after picking the best history topics to write about: work with experts to rock it like a pro!