An opinion essay assignment is a formal piece of writing that provides the reader with your particular point of view on a given subject. You support your opinion by logical reasoning, facts, and examples. An assignment of this type can vary in length with most of them being somewhere between 400 – 800 words.
How to Write an Opinion Essay
- Select an Interesting Opinion Essay Topic
Writing an opinion essay requires you to choose a topic that will be interesting to both you and the reader. Don’t go overboard by selecting something that is too heavy or you may find it difficult to get the job done correctly.
- Create an Opinion Essay Outline
After researching the topic and brainstorming your ideas and arguments, organize your notes in an outline. This exercise will allow you to move from paragraph to paragraph without straying off the course and keeping your content in a logical order.
- Look at Opinion Essay Samples
Before you start writing the first draft, you may want to check out a few opinion essay examples free. You can easily find them on the web, but we recommend you stick with only trusted sources. Find an academic or professional site that specializes in this kind of writing This will surely help you to become successful in college.
- Write the First Draft Quickly
Writing opinion essay topics is easily accomplished when you get your ideas down on the page as quickly as possible. Just let the words flow naturally and refer to your outline if you feel you are getting off track. What is most important is that you write efficiently.
- Revise, Edit and Proofread
Lastly, always make sure to set aside your opinion essay for at least a few hours (or days) before you return to it to start your revising. If you have the time, set the assignment aside again before you edit and proofread. This ensures you don’t miss minor mistakes that could lower your grade.
Good Opinion Essay Topics
These opinion essay topics are both fun and creative and will be perfect for an assignment in which you get to choose exactly what you want to write about:
- Do you prefer to stay at home on weekends?
- Which is the most inspiring sports story?
- What is the best way to spend a vacation?
- Do you prefer print or digital books?
- Should the death penalty be universal?
- Should people get more sleep?
- Should energy drinks be banned?
- Should every child have a pet?
- How does homework help with test-taking?
- Is it important to learn tradecraft?
Opinion Essay Topics 5th Grade
These are good opinion topics for fifth-grade students that are just learning the fundamentals of writing a short but structured assignment:
- Should sports have winners and losers?
- Who would you like to visit your school?
- Which celebrity would you like to meet?
- Is bullying an important issue at your school?
- Which sports athlete would you like to meet?
- Is participation more important than victory?
- Which is the best team sport to play?
- Should your teacher reduce homework?
- Should art be made mandatory in class?
- What time should you be allowed to sleep?
Ideas for Opinion Essays for Middle School
These opinion writing ideas are a little tougher than the ones above. They will challenge without overwhelming students in middle school:
- Is the Oxford comma becoming unnecessary?
- Is it okay to keep the money you find on the street?
- Should you report suspicious activity to the police?
- What is the best country to visit?
- Do you prefer books or movies about the same story?
- Is it appropriate for zoos to keep animals?
- Should pets on leashes be allowed in all businesses?
- Do you think the U.S. should have created Space Force?
- Do you think pro athletes should be paid for their play?
- Do you think that sports should be segregated?
Ideas for Opinion Writing
These opinion essay examples of topics are ones that were gleaned from the sources of news from around the globe. Let us know what you think:
- Should smoking in public be made illegal?
- Should the legal drinking age be lowered?
- Are drinking and driving penalties to low?
- Are energy drinks safe for consumption?
- Are the Bubble plans good ideas to bring sports?
- Should more U.S. fans support its soccer team?
- Should schools allow religious clubs on campus?
- Are vaccines safe for all people?
- Do you think students should be drug tested?
- Can kids become addicted to sugar?
Public Opinion Topics
This list of opinion writing topics caters to the college undergraduate community of students. The topics apply to issues important to the public:
- Should employers incorporate web filters?
- How can cell phones be used as learning tools?
- Does the national news capture diversity?
- Should bathrooms be made gender-neutral?
- Do boys face body issues?
- Should tackle football be banned in schools?
- Is the use of military force ever justified?
- What moral obligations do leaders have?
- Are people giving children too many children?
- Should technology be used in medicine?
Unpopular Opinion Topics
These topics for writing an opinion essay are great for students looking for a challenge by dealing with issues that are unpopular to the public:
- What do you think about corporal punishment?
- Is investing in the U.S. Space Force a good idea?
- Should drivers be allowed to drive with buckles?
- Should men have a say over pregnancy choices?
- Do you think we will find evidence of water on Mars?
- Should kids be limited to just a few hours of computer use?
- Should students that plagiarize be expelled?
- Do you think teachers should be armed?
- Should schools employ private armed security?
- Do you think greater restrictions on guns are good?
Writing Opinion Essay Topics
Here’s another list of the hottest topics being discussed on the web today:
- Are violent video games negatively influencing teens?
- What is the best decade in history?
- Do you believe that we will encounter aliens?
- Do think the U.S. and Russia know of alien life?
- Are emojis negatively impacting communication skills?
- Are drivers less attentive because of auto technology?
- Should paper and plastic bags be banned from all stores?
- Is living a simpler life the path to happiness?
- Is going steady a good thing for teenagers?
- How do teenage relationships compare to adult ones?
Opinion Paper Topics
These opinion topics cover a wide range of study areas great for graduate courses:
- Should fracking be outlawed?
- Are genetically modified foods healthy for humans?
- Should religious institutions be made to pay taxes?
- Should online sports gambling be made legal?
- Is it important to get a college education?
- Should doctors be allowed to promote specific medications?
- Do you think it’s time to make assisted suicide legal?
- Should all interns be paid?
- Is it a good idea to make school uniforms mandatory?
- Should public colleges be free to all?
Opinion Essay Topics for College Students
These ideas for an opinion essay are perfect for college-level through graduate-level students:
- Has internet-use negatively or positively changed communication?
- Is it ethical to move toward full automation?
- Should there be laws against using cell phones while driving?
- Should social media be allowed to gather private information?
- Do you think prostitution should be made legal?
- Should governments allow monopolies?
- Do you think that graffiti is vandalism or art?
- Should graffiti artists be considered artists?
- Should books be banned for questionable content?
- Is censorship a form of government suppression?
Opinion Ideas on Current Topics
This set of topics focuses on current issues in the world. Use them to direct the discussion towards the things that affect people today:
- Should the U.S. open business amid COVID-19?
- How important are sports to the economy?
- Are pro athletes paid fairly?
- Should women athletes make as much as men?
- Should the President be impeached?
- Can the President face criminal charges?
- Is attending indoor events dangerous because of COVID-19?
- Should education be free to everyone?
- Is LeBron James the best athlete in the world?
- Should big game hunting be made illegal?
How to Start an Opinion Essay
When students ask us how do you start off an opinion essay we give them a simple list of techniques to follow. The opening paragraph serves as a sort of map that guides your reader, so your opening statement in opinion essay must capture your reader’s attention. Start with a great hook – a single statement that compels the reader to keep going. You can use a quote, a rhetorical question, or an interesting fact. Introduce your topic early and list some ideas you will explore in the essay. Finish the introduction with a strong thesis statement which tells the reader exactly what your opinion is. You can usually find a good opinion essay sample on the web, in writer’s guides, or from your teacher.
More Opinion Essay Assistance
If you need more topics for opinion essay, our academic writers can help. Our academic writing and editing experts are always up-to-date with the latest ideas for opinion articles. We can also show you how to write opinion essay on any topic and in any discipline. Just give us a call, send us an email, or chat with one of our friendly support staff.