What is the thesis acknowledgment? Before you learn how to write thesis acknowledgment you need to sure you know what it is. An acknowledgment thesis is a dedicated section where students can thank the people (or organizations) that have assisted and supported them throughout the process of researching and writing the senior or graduate thesis.
The best acknowledgement for thesis will respectfully give thanks in a few short sentences immediately following the thesis’s title page and will generally be divided into two categories: professional and personal.
You can check with your department for specific guidelines on writing a Ph.D. thesis acknowledgement, but if you are looking for a convenient example of acknowledgement in thesis, we’ve provided a great collection so that you can get a better sense of how to write acknowledgement for thesis.
- Professional Acknowledgements
This category may include funding organizations, academic supervisors, instructors, librarians, and more. You shouldn’t overlook anyone that played an important role in helping you complete your work, but be sure to list those that have had the greatest impact on your thesis.
- Personal Acknowledgements
This category may include family, friends, and other people that provided support. The important thing is that you don’t make a long list of personal acknowledgements by showing gratitude to everyone in your life (avoid writing a long Oscar acceptance speech).
How to Write Acknowledgement for Thesis
Read a few thesis acknowledgements before you start writing yours. You will note that it is one of the few occasions where writing in the first person is encouraged but you must still maintain a professional tone that is appropriate for an academic document.
- Make lists for both your professional and personal master’s thesis acknowledgements. It’s better to err on the long side and then edit each list so that you only mention the most important people.
- Rearrange your professional list by placing the most important people at the top. This generally means including your thesis advisor and other teachers in your field. If you received funding from a group, you should list them among the most important acknowledgement section of thesis.
- Next, arrange your personal list by placing the most important people at the top. Most students include family members and friends that helped along the way. When it comes to friends you don’t want to list everyone you’ve met throughout your life. Stick with those that supported you emotionally.
- Writing acknowledgements is much easier when you think of people in groups. For example, you may start your professional acknowledgement for thesis by stating your advisor’s name, one or two professors, and an organization with something like “I’d like to express my gratitude to Dr. Lindsey Carter, Professors Adam Chase and Tyler Crane, and the support I received from the Blaine Foundation.”
- There are no hard and fast rules on the length of the Ph.D. thesis acknowledgements. Some expert writers recommend you keep this section to no more than a minute or two. So as soon as you have a draft written, you should read it aloud to ensure it doesn’t go on for too long.
On some occasions, you may be required to present your thesis before a review board. In these cases, you must make sure you thank people who are present, whether or not are listed on your acknowledgement page thesis. Again, though, keep this to no more than 2 minutes.
Some Key Phrases to Use in the Acknowledgment Thesis
Despite needing to be as original as possible, there are a few key phrases you can use that have been proven to withstand the test of time. Have a quick look at the ones below and you will understand how clear and concise statements can effectively communicate sincere gratitude.
- I would like to thank my amazingly supportive peers…
- Without XXX’s expert advice and encouragement, I could not…
- I would like to acknowledge Dr. XXX for encouraging me to pursue
- I’d like to extend a more public show of gratitude…
- It is through the XXX Institution’s contributions that…
- Without the support of the research department, this project would not…
- It is my great pleasure to extend my gratitude towards…
- It has been a pleasure to work with such a close group…
- I am indebted to the unwavering support by my colleagues…
- Finally, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Aunt…
There is a time and place for a humorous anecdote, but this may be harder to achieve than you think. If you do decide to take this route, be sure to read an acknowledgement sample for thesis to see just what qualifies as appropriate humor for this type of writing.
Need a Thesis Acknowledgment Sample? Here is a Great List
Here are some great thesis acknowledgement quotes you can refer to for inspiration. We encourage you not to just cut and paste but to take a close look at what can work. The best acknowledgement for master thesis should come from the heart and be personal, so don’t copy others directly because someone may find out and put you in an awkward situation
Here are some acknowledgements in thesis samples to use when addressing professional groups or people:
- If it was not for the grant I received from the Reed Institute 3 years ago, I could never have launched this project and gained access to the valuable resources that allowed for this breakthrough in the study of Molecular Science.
- Dr. James Finebaum, Professor Alex Gorey, and Professor Jane Whitehead have all been paramount in inspiring me to pursue these unchartered waters toward finding alternative, cost-effective solutions in renewable energies.
- I’d like to sincerely express my gratitude to my academic advisor, Dr. Aliana Hernandez, who inspires me each day to push the limits of my knowledge by challenging me to ask the difficult questions and to not stop until I have found the answers.
Here are some options when you are looking for a good acknowledgement thesis sample for personal thank yous:
- My mother, Abigail Adams, was instrumental in defining the path of my academic interests. She served as an appellate court judge for 25 years and set me on a path of legal studies that has culminated in my earning a law degree from this fine institution.
- I’d like very much to address my family directly with gratitude. The years of unparalleled support and guidance have helped me not only define my academic and professional aspirations but have also ensured I never lost my faith or determination.
- I wish to express my special appreciation toward all of the members of the research team in Classroom Unit 2B. We are a strange bunch that came together to tackle an impossible project to earn the respect of so many within our field. Bigger and better things will come for all of us and I can’t wait to keep working with each one of them for years.
You can always turn to us for professional assistance in writing a thesis acknowledgement. Our Ph.D. thesis writers can take your original ideas and we can turn them into a great acknowledgment in thesis for you to use in your capstone project. We can also provide you with a Ph.D. thesis acknowledgement sample for you to develop your original ideas. We can help with this and other sections across all academic disciplines, just contact us anytime and we’ll put you in contact with one of our certified editing and writing experts.